Greetings to all: A 2.5-hour search in various Forums was futile, so here's my question:
A random poll of certified home inspectors at a state association-sponsored electrical seminar revealed that many of us find "dueling" GFCIs on the same circuit. For example, if there's a GFCI receptacle in the kitchen, and another in the garage, the kitchen GFCI won't trip and/or reset as expected. We're guessing that the GFCIs are confusing each other and the downstream receptacle should be replaced. So the kitchen would get a standard receptacle (labeled that it's GFCI protected) and the garage GFCI would remain. Also, when there's a GFCI breaker in the service panel, shouldn't the receptacles controlled by that breaker also be standard, NOT GFCI receptacles to avoid "duels" as well? Lastly, we're not talking about GFCIs for bathrooms, which are clearly discussed in code books. So any info or NEC code citations you share would be most appreciated. I'll relay your explanations on our professional bulletin board so we can all be educated about this issue. Thanks so much & I'll check back with you asap.