We've all seen these scenarios. Sometimes we've been guilty of them ourselves (we who should know better [Linked Image] ).

Your sockets are behind large pieces of furniture like bureaus or beds or closets.
Or the cord on the appliance you wish to install - like a radio or a fax machine on top of the desk is too short to reach the socket on the floor or the wall.

A lot of people take the ever popular extension cord (usually the 16-gauge SPT-type zip cord) and use it to hook up such devices.

Now, I'm not bringing up obvious non-listed uses such as stapling the cord to the wall in a "permanent" fashion - but simply just letting it lie on the floor as if it were a simple elongation of the appliance's cord.

Now...the idea is that the appliance won't ever move from where you put it - the radio/TV or the fan or the desk palmp stays where it is, permanently plugged into this extension cord which is in turn permanently plugged into the outlet with the cord running loosely on the floor out of the way. I would say the same thing for the window air conditioner that is 12 feet away from the nearest outlet and you have to use an "appliance extension cord" running along the side of the room to use it (once again, not stapled).

Is this a safe "listed" use? Would it be considered temporary or permanent?

Or is the definition of "temporary" only applicable to a portable piece of equipment you only use for a little bit (like a drill or a small fan) and then unplug and put away into storage?

I'm curious.