I have a service change I just got through doing. The "poco" told the homeowner that the meter needed to be replaced. I went to check it out and one of the terminals in the meter was just about to break off due to overheating. The service was in such bad shape the inspector wanted me to bring it up to code. I installed a meter/combo panel, and run 200 amp. riser, ran a new feed to an upstairs panel, and also a new feed to another panel downstairs. I installed new panels in each of these locations. As I was finishing up, I was going to label the panel. I had to get down on one knee to reach the panel directory. As I did, I felt a tingle on my arm. Since everything was new, I couldn't believe I was getting shocked. I checked the voltage between an old ground rod and my new ground rod. I was getting 75 volts. I traced the problem down to an old circuit inside the house. When I turned the breaker off, the voltage would go away. I done some further testing and found out that with one of my leads stuck in the "dirt" and the other lead on the "ground wire" going to the ground rod, I am getting 115 volts. It starts out at around 75 to 90 volts or so, and the further away from the meter base, the worse it gets, til it gets at 115 volts!! I took a picture of my meter and the reading. I am suppose to go back in the morning, and take the outlets apart in the circuit causing this. I suspect that polarity on one of the outlets has been reversed maybe.
Prior to this, the person living in the house tells me, his grandchildren were in a little rubber swimming pool and complained that the water is "tingeling". He puts his had in the water, and feels a tingling also. Needless to say, the swimming pool is on the other side of the house now. Any other suggestions other than reversed polarity that might be causing this? Obviously it has been this way for a long time. The circuit in question is drastically overloaded, and needs separate circuits run to divide the loads. They had the circuit on a 30 amp breaker (#12 wire).
I had to put it back on a 20 amp per code. Now it is tripping. They have (2) 120 volt air conditioners, (1)refrigerator, freezer, microwave, coffee pot, tv's and who knows what else. I did have him to unplug everything to eliminate the possibility of an appliance causing the problem, but it did not clear up the voltage on the ground.
Very scary situation here. Any thoughts. Thanks, Steve..