This thread is all about 'business,' and not auto mechanics, so I'll spare you the technical details.

Suffice it to say that my truck began to run poorly nearly a month ago, and last week the situation became intolerable. I went to the usual mechanic, who identified a part ... the part was ordered, and installed a week ago. The problems seemed worse - much worse ... yet, an unrelated minor glitch was fixed!

The mechanic, as were several others, was 'all booked up,' well into next week. My truck is my livelihood, and I could no longer wait. So, I got up my nerve and approached a certain shop that had all the hallmarks of big expense: fancy uniforms, huge sign, lots of lights, brand name, and a focus on trucks less than 5 year old. (Mine is almost old enough to vote!)

I was greeted with a 'yes, we can look at it today.' I was given an estimate for the diagnosis. I noticed a 'shop rate' that was 30% higher than most shops in town.

The problem was found, and fixed. The total expense wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. I noticed very little mark-up on the parts. There was no 'nickel and dimeing' me with miscellaneous charges for 'shop supplies' and such.

Getting service when I needed it was worth something.
Having a proper diagnosis done is worth something.
Having the problem fixed is worth something.
Getting my confidence back in my truck is worth something.

Where the business 'dropped the ball' was in the way they had scared me off ... leaving me to flounder amongst the multitude of lesser businesses. The experience has me examining my assumptions.

I wonder how many of us, in the ways we run and present our businesses, are also scaring off customers - or, at least, failing to get our message through to them?

Therre are business lessons in my truck repair story.