I do kitchens all of the time. Although I have a good working relationship with the kitchen designers, my stuff comes second.

I can usually satisfy the code by being a bit creative though. On an island with overhangs I will usually do one of two things. If there is no apron beneath the overhang I will install a surface mount box to the underside of the counter and attach it with epoxy. If there is an apron beneath the overhand I will then mount a recpt in that.

If there is no over hang and mounting a recpt in the side of the cabinet is not an option due to decorative panels etc. I will have them delete on of the drawers and fill in the opening where the drawer would go and cut in a recpt there. Have the carpenters then attach the drawer front with hinges mounted so the front will swing down to access the recpt, much like the tilt trays that used to be so common at the sink. I've not had a problem with an inspection yet and my inspectors have found this to be a acceptable solution.

One thing that I refuse to do is to not install the recpt. It is required and it will be installed. I use those two words right out of the book, "shall" and "may". I let them know that there shall be a recpt installed in the island however they may have a few options as to the location.

FRANK

Last edited by FWW56; 02/27/08 01:30 AM.