In 1996 my old employer started his own EC business. He started with one apprentice and after that I became an employee. Things were really busy, more employees came on board.. we were the busiest contractor in our area. My employer opened up a new store in town (he was working out of his home)selling lights to compliment the EC business.
About 5 years into this things started to fall apart, the economy tanked somewhat, some big pie in the sky general contractors and developers stopped paying their bills. At this point my employer stated that even when he was busy he wasn't making any money and now things were looking grim.
After taking two wage cuts I bailed to greener pastures before the layoffs started. My (now ex-employer) ended up moving back to his shop at home, running one truck and one apprentice (his daughter). Speaking to him after the fact, he thinks it is best to work out of your home shop, screw the retail lighting sales etc, stay small, don't let the general contractor get too deep into you....and watch your estimates.