Hi guys.

Arrived at the FD yesterday and noticed an extension cord running the length of the bay floor. The departing Commander told us that the drop cord for the 1st line ambulance and the extrication engine had stopped working, but the other drop cord on the same circuit was still working.

As the "resident spark", I got detailed by our Commander to check out the problem. A check up top revealed 110 VAC from hot to the metal box, but nothing from hot to neutral. And the box was mounted in the "blind spot" between a support I-bean and the wall about 16" away, so I'm workng to the side. After searching through 6 panels in 3 different spots and trying about 15 breakers labeled "FIRE - SPARE" and "FIRE - APPARATUS BAY" (gotta love remodels, additions and remote generator panels) I was finally able to d/c the circuit and climb up to the ceiling.

As I neared the box, I recognized the smell. Suspicions confirmed after opening the box and finding this.

The FF who had installed this had fed the outlet on one terminal and then "daisy chained" to the next receptacle (for the engine). Not sure exactly how long it took, but my best guess is that the draw for the ambulance and engine finally heated the terminals enough to melt the receptacle, but over a long enough period of time to not be too obvious.

Needless to say, the new outlet is now fed off a pigtail, and the d/c clearly labeled.

- DougW

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]