Originally Posted by watthead
I am interested in how some of the other jurisdictions handle service work where power needs to be disconnected to make repairs or a meterbase needs to be replaced. In my area this will require an inspection before the utility can restore power and to have the permit issued for service work or upgrades to a service has taken me up to a week. Then you can request an inspection the next day, but they allow themselves 48 hrs. and possibly 72 hrs. to inspect. It seems that these inspections must be done in the afternoon and the power release will be faxed to the utility when the inspector returns to the office, which is usually around 4 o'clock and the utility won't even think about doing it that day. This thing becomes a vicious circle that seems to take on a life of its' on. There must be a better way and I just wanted some ideas that I could take to the powers that be in my area.

What I see with your problem in the inspector may be the problem, what we usually do to make it run smoothe is get an early time from the inspector then schedule with the utility, you may have a power trip inspector, then they is not much you can do short of calling your mayor, when that happpens, but try to talk to him first and work out something.