Got another situation on another job estimate here. I'm getting a bid together for redoing the service on another church. They currently have a 3 phase 200 amp service with an outside panel,and a smaller outside panel feeding out or it. Then they have a 100 amp breaker feeding
single phase to a main fuse disconnect inside a mechanical room. This disconnect is fused at 150 amps., then feeds into a trough, that then branches out to 2 more disconnects with 60 amp fuses that feeds 2 more electrical panels inside the church, and 2 electric ranges in their kitchen.
There is also another panel coming off the trough that isn't fused that feeds about 4 to 6 120 volt circuits.
They are having trouble with the 60 amp.fuses blowing etc...and a "rat's nest" of wires in the trough. The maintenance electrician that takes care of their church says he has tighten up lugs etc. etc.
What I'm proposing to do is, change all of it out and put them a new panel outside and combine the panels on the inside to one 200 amp panel. My original idea was to just change the outside to a 225 amp 3 phase, (leaving the actual meter base that is there if it was rated for 225 amps), and feed the inside panel 200 amps. Problem here is feeding the inside panel. I found out that they now make a 200 amp. plug in breaker ( Square D ) but I don't want to go that route if I don't have to. It will be terribly hard (if not suicidal) to try and use 3/0 copper and bend it to go into a plug in breaker, then go back out of the back of the panel, into an LB and back up into the conduit.
My next option was to change the service to 400 amp 3phase and come off the dual lugs of the meter base for the feed to the 3 phase panel, then off again to the single phase panel to a 200 amp main breaker disconnect for the inside panel. Trouble with this is, I'm not sure about coming off the 3 phase meter with single phase to the other disconnect, and keeping the unbalanced load correct.
Wonder if anyone could give me some options as to the best way to do this? Thanks Steve...
By the way, thanks for the input on the bid for the other job. I'm still waiting to here from the customer on my preliminary bid.

Last edited by sparkync; 10/01/07 09:27 AM.