So, you want to be a sqweek?

TBH, I'm not sure how one would go about it in Hungary, but around here there are two ways to break into the industry:

1. Befriend someone who's already in the industry, offer to help them out for cheap, and have them teach you a few things. Working with them will not only give you the skills, but also contacts for future jobs on your own.

2. Contact the local union (around here, most film/concert/stage sound techs are going to be members of IATSE) and express an interest in learning about the trade. Be sure to tell them that you're a newbie, as you may do damage if they call you in for a gig, and you can't tell an amp from an XLR cable.

This is, of course, assuming that you don't have the money to go through formal education and learn the trade that way.

In my experience (as a production electrician), sound people must be prepared to loose their hearing and any personal hygiene habits you may be clinging on to. At least half of the ones I've met/worked with are deaf and smell badly of BO.

Last edited by noderaser; 09/11/07 12:42 AM.