I just hooked up a 20hp Armstrong (Emerson motor) fire pump in a building. It was 200volt Low/400 high . It had 12 leads coming out of the peckerneck on the motor. 1-12. It had two options for the low configuration and two options for the high. You could wire it Y start (low config.) or Delta run (low config.). And the same choice for the high connections. This motor was a direct change out in our existing building. It had two interlocks for emergency gen. power and Normal power. Our building is 120/208 three phase. We wired it in a Y start. I just looked at the wiring diagram on the motor. It will only lets you wire it in one configuration only in low or high with all 12 motor leads. Your motor and controller might be different. Maybe your friend paralelled the conductors from the controller to the motor three phase (6six conductors 480 volts) I have not heard of your scenario before. I think the twelve lead motor gives you different options for different system voltages. Here is a interesting forum below related to your question. I was a little confused by your forum question.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=127598&page=60

Brian Gibbons