For you guys that know me well, I've been working on building on a block of land that I had gifted to me as part of a will.
Being in New Zealand, things aren't that simple as sticking a house on a bit of dirt.
Please bear with me as I try and explain what is going on here.
This all started 3 years ago when I sought permission to build on the section, which is 1 Acre in size.
I drew up plans and had an architect look them over and fix them up to Council standards, no problems, building consent was granted.
What I had no idea of was that you have to ask permission from everyone around you to build a house or erect fences, no matter how high.
A guy down the road complained that it would quote block his view of the mountains unquote.
I had to get Resource Consent under the Resource Management Act to have a water bore sunk and luckily no-one complained about that.
Although it is for my own use I had to get Resource Consent for a 15 metre high Radio tower, the local Council said it was a mere formality, as no-one ever complains about things like that, but I aren't holding my breath.
Onwards and upwards, I had to get Resource Consent for my Waste Water Treatment Plant.
This caused a real headache, as they used to be called Septic Tanks, now you have to have all sorts of monitoring of the out-flow and various alarms built into the unit itself.
This house has cost me a lot before it has even been started.
Lets see:
Planning Permission- $900
RC-Water Bore-$3000
Drilling the Bore-$30,000
RC-Radio Tower-$9000
Permit to build the house-$2000
W/Water permit-$4500 + $1000 per year monitoring costs for 3 years after the initial installation.
Having paid all that, I was informed yesterday that my builder has filed for bankrupcy(sp?).
Roof is on the house and the brickie hasn't started yet, no windows or doors.
Don't worry we'll work something out.