I do some work for a fire protection company, mostly residential. I went to look at and bid on a small commericial job for this company today. Its a very old factory/warehouse in a large old complex. They are switching the current water sprinkler system to a dry system. My job would be to get power to a 1/2 hp air compressor. Install a small electric baseboard heat unit to keep this 4x4x8 foot room at a constant 40 degrees and also install a keyless light/switch. My problem is the old (1940's) electrical equipment. a wall of troughs, disconnects and an old GE 225 amp 120/208 three phase loaded panel. There is a newer 30 amp GE heavy duty fused three phase switch that was once used to control some type of lift that is gone now. Can I replace this switch with a four circuit panel and power my job with this?? I have not seen the specs but I believe the air compressor and heat are 120volts. I just dread opening up this old can of electrcal worms. i just want to safely do my work and go. Any sugestions--thanks If I have the neutral in the disconnect can I tap off of two of the hots to feed my new panel? in other words can I use this three phase disconnect but only use two of the fused hots to get my feed, and leave the third empty? I understand that with this 120/208 I will get 208 measured from hot to any other hot. I will get 120 measured from any hot to neutral or ground. If I bring two of these hots to my new panel I will not be able to get 240v, I will only be able to use single pole breakers...Is this correct?? Can you ever pull 240v from a 120/208 service??

[This message has been edited by Shinkman (edited 11-07-2002).]