I agree with Hal some companies provide their employee's with sub-standard or totally un-suitable materials or tools to do the work, these guys have never had to undergo an inspection and get prety colorful with the things they let slide or even better instruct their employee's to do.
I started out with a structured wiring company that spared no expense on tools or materials and taught the guys the right way to do things. Other companies I have seen pinch any penny they can, thus compromising the quality and integrity of their work and also compromising the possibility that they will get return customers.

Some companies that have little competition like the TelCo or CableCo get away with murder in some places.
I am one that is in favor of licensing for this end of the business as it could curb and possibly put an end to a lot of these sub-standard practices that are all too common.
I don't think you guys are being overly critical, electricians for a long time have been held to high standards and LV work should not be treated any differently in my opinion.