50% up front with the balance upon completion. Special consideration for small jobs, established customers. Comercial and goverment entities have their own set of rules and sometimes I don't feel like playing with them. In the past I've gotten involved in some rather large projects and although on paper the profit line looks good, after getting into the 90 day cycle it doesn't seem worth it to me, once the job is finished the money they have in the bank is no longer theirs, it is MY money in their bank account and I want it in mine. I'm not solvent enough to be financing upgrades for others.

I've read many consumer directed articles advising people not provide much of a down payment to contractors but I've never seen any where the contractors interest is taken into account.

One kitchen design center in my area has a policy of getting 50% at the acceptence of the contract, another 40% upon the actual start of the job with the remaining 10% upon completion. Their attitude is "That's our policy, If you can't agree to that, go somwhere else".

This company is one of the best in the area to do work for, the subs are paid immediately and I've not had too many "discussions" about my bills. These guys drive new Lexuses and Lincolns every other year and take several vacations a year so they must be on to something.

FRANK