Thought I had posted this but I never saw it come up so forgive me if it turns out this is double posting.
About a year or so ago, in our area, all of a sudden the inspectors came down with it was no longer acceptable to use cut-in boxes in fire walls. Their objection was to the box support clips, you know the kind that are called steamboats or madison clips or F-clips. I checked the code and it says that approved boxes are ok to use but doesn't address whether the box supports are acceptable or not. The cut-in boxes themselves come with ul lablels on them but I don't see any on the clip and I assume they are designed to be used with those types of boxes.
It has been a little confusing because some inspectors are only saying that they are banned in certain hour rated walls (five? i think and not three hour?)
On existing fire walls we have been going to locating the stud and cutting in a four square to mount on it and making it a quad in order to not have any patch work.
Can anyone shed any light on why the inspectors all of a sudden came down with this and what is your opinion about it?