I am leaving my current job in the newspaper industry, because of what happened at work today.
I'm going back to the PoCo, where they actually care about workers safety.
A second-hand machine turned up here the other day that is going to be (so I was told) in the new part of the factory, when it gets built.
I had a look at this machine just on passing and noticed that most of the interlocks and guard switches had been shorted.
This machine is known as a Cut and Stitch machine, it uses sharp knives and stitching needles within easy reach with the guards open.
I refused to connect this machine (although I had already run the cable for it) until all of the interlocks were re-instated.
To this I was told, that the machine will be staying like it is.
An off-site electrician was called and he hooked it up while I was away at lunch.
I came back and found the machine was livened and proceeded to disconnect it at the switchboard and locked out the supplying 3 phase breaker.
I asked for the name of the electrician that connected this equipment without making sure that all of the interlocks were working.
I was refused this information so I handed my notice in.
I was also told that I was breaching my contract, as I was required to install and maintain all equipment that the company requires.
I told my Boss (in a VERY heated argument) that his company was breaching not only the Electricity Regs, but a number of OSH laws, as well.
Why is it that in so many companies, it is OK to defeat in-built safety systems in machinery?.
They don't put the things in there for the fun of it, do they.
Try and do a job by the book and look what happens..........