On last comment drillman (unless you've got more questions).

Mike (Trumpy) is right on track... 40 ft up is a long way... especially in a forklift basket with a limited base dimension.

Your maximum working platform height must NEVER exceed 4 times your minimum base dimension. Most forklift are roughly 4 feet wide. So, that means that the maximum platform height would be 16 feet.

If you don't ensure this height to base ratio, you will likely have a tipover. Even on a relatively flat surface, 40 feet up in the air the platform support (mast) is not going to be "plumb." Don't let your boss give you the excuss that the forklift has a counter weight... that is not going to prevent a tipover in this circumstance.

You said you wanted to keep it "simple" for the boss, tell him, "I won't do this because it is unsafe, the maufacturer of the forklift did not approve the use of the basket attachment and the forklift is not equipped with outriggers to provide base stability."

I notice you are in the great state of Texas. Your state (along with 23 others) unfortunately does not have a safety and health protection program for public employees (civil servants). That's a shame. I would encourage you if your boss insists on the use of this device to pursue some grievance through your civil service process or collective bargaining procedures if there are any.

It really is sad and disheartening that in 2005, 35 years after the passage of the federal OSHAct that 23 states still do not provide safety and health protection for public employees. [Linked Image]