Even so guys,
I can't help that this sentence makes me think:
He was shocked because the conduit was broken loose from the fixture and a line wire was partially stripped. The conduit was the only ground.
Shouldn't there have been some sort of a smoothed edge, on the inside of the metallic conduit, to prevent the wires from being damaged, should the fixture come adrift from the conduit?.
Regardless of that, it sounds to me like niether the fixture or the conduit was grounded or the said grounding was defective, as the circuit OCP should have operated because of the shaved phase wire, with the Neutral carrying the Fault current.

Just to sort of put what I typed above into plain English:
[quote]But, I would NEVER fail to use a decent reference to Earth, with Low Voltage stuff, using a pre-tested Cord-set and a set of 750V Duspols!!.[quote]
I use this method all the time with Domestic faults work, using a known working socket-outlet (receptacle) as a Ground and Neutral point to reference tests from, where you are not sure whether the N or E wires are connected at the panel.
People have been injured or even killed here when home-owners do their own disconnections and not knowning (or bothering to find out) which fuse supplies a given circuit, just cut the Neutral and Earth wires. [Linked Image]