You are wrong in that assumption.

WHAT assumption?

Hmmm. That page shows the EXACT example I gave, of a 100:5 CT converted to 50:5 (or 25:5) with additional primary turns. I don't remember saying ANYTHING about added secondary turns, but the Simpson page gives a siimilarly good, clear explanation of those installations.

[quote]And what about the bar type CT's here. You better mount them with polarity in mind. ]http://www.kilowattclassroom.com/Archive/CurrentTransf.pdf[/quote]

Yeah, kinda hard to put an extra turn through one of those, ain't it? But again, when used with a single ammeter as an indicator, it really doesn't make a bit of difference which way the thing is oriented. The polarity markings are only important when the downstream equipment cares about the phase relationship between multiple phases, or between volatge and current signals from the same phase. This would include MOST CT applications, as they are USUALLY used in sets of 3, to feed a polyphase metering setup.

I don't think we disagree AT ALL about the need for observing proper polarity in a CT metering installation. But where I did disagree is in calling a CT a "directional" device. It works just the same no matter what "direction" the current is flowing, same as any other transformer. But the equipment DOWNSTREAM of the CT usually cares very much about such issues.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 01-08-2006).]