I am wondering how many of you work for a company that states "Safety is #1" or "Safety is our TOP priority", etc. After 10 years in industry as a safety professional I had the great honor of working for two of the best plant managers walking the face of this earth and working for two of the worst human beings that have filled the role of "plant manager". I have no doubt that the two best were dedicated to making safety RIGHT; but they taught me a very valuable lesson in that EHS should be EQUAL to production, quality, and costs. Making either of these #1, just causes everyone to jump from ship to ship so to speak. Having been a consultant this past year, I have been amaazed at the number of companies I work with that have banners everywhere stating "Safety is #1", eyt when you talk with employees they provide you with sound examples of how they perceive that to be a lie. Heck I should know, I was one of those employees in a couple of my roles, and if you can't convience your safety leader, then you sure are not going to have much luck with the workforce he/she has been hired to protect.

Bryan www.SAFTENG.net