It is surprising just how much in the way of foreign fittings find their way into Australia. Most of what we get is British, followed by US and very little European. Here is a sample of some of the more unusual things I've collected over the years. Most of them are British so please correct my descriptions if necessary.
[Linked Image]
This is just a double BC adaptor with switch but it's the first and only fitting I have from South Africa.
[Linked Image]
A 5A UK switched socket. Hard to say if it is meant to be mounted vertically or horizontally given the labelling. Of interest is the switch mechanism being a fast acting tumbler switch making this suitable for DC mains. I did actually have this in use on a homemade powerboard years ago...I think I powered a TV off it that had a Continental plug...not ideal but it did fit.
[Linked Image]
A triple adaptor rated at 5A also from the UK.
[Linked Image]
This BC to UK 2A adaptor is made of wood...how the brass pins were inserted and secured is a mystery; it's not like bakelite where you can just mould around them. The safety aspects are slightly dubious as the socket pins aren't recessed very far in. The 2A plug has no identification.
[Linked Image]
A locally made double BC adaptor; unusual because of the shape...I suspect it was intended to run two light bulbs rather than one light bulb and one appliance.
[Linked Image]
I'd never seen one of these before. While you could use it to provide additional lighting in a room, a light bulb at floor level would look a bit odd. It's obviously intended to run appliances fitted with a BC plug from a UK round pin socket. What's of interest is the pins can swivel to accomodate different pin spacings.
[Linked Image]
This looked like an oversize BC plug at first, but pulling the halves apart revealed a BC to 5A adaptor with captive two pin 5A plug. I'm curious to know why the short piece of string is there. I've got another of these adaptors and it's the same.

[This message has been edited by aussie240 (edited 01-09-2006).]