I think it does need to be publicised that the RCD will not prevent all electrocutions.

Hear hear! Far too much of the advertising I see here seems to leave people with the impression than an RCD is some kind of magical device which will prevent one from ever receiving a dangerous shock.

Sure, phase-to-earth shocks are the most common, but at you say, an RCD won't do a darned thing for somebody who manages to get across phase and neutral, unless there is simultaneous ground current. That's not to mention the fact that a current through the body of a little under 30mA can still be quite dangerous given the right (wrong?) circumstances.

Instead of the 'whole house protected by RCD' approach, I prefer to protect individual circuits or appliances.

I'd like to see a move toward this approach too. You could base the leakage trip current on the circuit served, maybe 100mA for more "leaky" devices and down to 10mA for sensitive areas (e.g. outlets powering outdoor equipment). It would eliminate the accumulative effects we see now which affect a main RCD, and it would eliminate an entire house being plunged into darkness because an alement on a stove trips the main.