Very interesting.

When I worked on my uncles fishing boat we would on occasion move the fleets of creels to the sound of Raasay (raasay is an Island on the north west coast of Scotland).

Any way to cut a long story short the creels were always cast over in the same direction no matter what time of day or month. This is because the tide always flows north in the sound no matter what.

I guess what I'm saying is that there must be more suitable places than the sound as the dimensions are far too big to harness.

If you look at the volumes of water behind the four places I suggested in my previous post it is surprising that nothing has been done to harness this energy, after all pump storage isn't exactly efficient.

From personal experience I know slack water only lasts a few minutes at Strome, the narrowest part of Loch Carron.

At connel the tide actually falls faster than the loch can empty and creates a waterfall.

I'm working long hours just now and have had a couple of beers so if it seems I'm rambling I apologise, I find it hard to put my thoughts into words at the best of times.

Simon.