Ok its prob been asked a dozen times and explained but using the filters with AWG or wire size I get back 1000's of posts so I'll just ask again ...

Whats with AWG?

OK metric, nice and simple, its 2.5mm2 so we call it 2.5mm2, its a nice discriptive term thats easy to understand. Bigger cable bigger number, smaller cable smaller number. Simple.

Now I know the US AWG lists, and roughly what us brits would equate it to. My difficulty is in understanding the *why*. I see they picked a mid-range cable as 1 AWG .. Smaller wires go up to 18 AWG, larger wires get an *00* rating (eg 1/0 2/0 until the bigger cables are hit with the 250 Kcmil and onward numbers.

I understand the progression. I dont understand, nor can seem to find, where they pulled these numbers from. Is there a table equating actual size to the AWG number so that you can see a logical progression? Or are they just called so *just because they are* because thats they way they are produced?

I guess I am just having trouble with the *reasoning* for the AWG system. like I say I understand its progression and can equate the cable sizes, I just dont get where they pulled the size scale from.

Prob a real simple answer .. but anyways over to you.

Shaine~

Shaine~