Hey guys, I received the following question recently. Anyone want to give me some input on this? I will forward any replies to the individual who is asking the question.

Thanks in advance.

Rick Miell

"I have an additional question:
Here in Brazil we use in rural areas a piece of metal over the wood structure that support distribution transformers ( until 70 kVA - 13,8 kV - 380-220V - connection delta -Y earthed) in order to give a extra protection against lightning. It works like a Franklin arrester.The question is about the grounding (earthing) of this piece of metal. Do I need to connect this grounding wire to the neutral of transformer ? : what is the correct: to make separate eathing circuits or link together ? What option give the best transformer protection ?

By your attention I previously thank.

A. Kipper "

Rick's take on this: The transformer is connected, now, to the ground (earthed), so that is not a problem.

I would not think one should connect the metal frame directly to the transformer neutral, but to the grounding electrode system.

I believe that multiple wires to a grounding electrode systems is ok, as is one wire that is then looped between the electrodes. Any thoughts on this.

Rick Miell
rmiell@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by rmiell (edited 02-10-2003).]