I should have also mentioned spin dryers and twin tubs.

SPIN DRYERS
I don't remember seeing any on my travels, but I guess you must have had something like these in the States before fully automatic washers and tumble dryers became commonplace.

They were very popular here years ago as an aid to hand washing. They just spin and drain water -- Nothing more.

The top loading drums are normally tall and of fairly small diameter so that they can operate at much higher speeds than the spin cycle of a washer, e.g. 2000 rpm plus.

For that reason alone, they are still favored by some people because they can extract more water before hanging the clothes on the line to dry. Although largely displaced now, I think a couple of manufacturers still make them.

TWIN TUBS
These were very common in the 1960s and early 1970s before fully auto machines took the lead.

They are basically a top-loading washer and a top-loading spin dryer side by side in the same cabinet, except that the washer side doesn't have a spin option and the fill, agitate, drain, rinse cycle is under manual control (a few "luxury" models had a timer for this).

Most models were designed to be wheeled out for the weekly wash and came with rubber hoses to push onto the kitchen faucets and to hook into the sink.

Obviously after rinsing it is necessary to transfer the clohes by hand into the spinner section. The "complexity" of the whole operation and the fact that it can't go for 90 minutes unattended leaves some kids these days staring in horror!

But there are plenty of people who swear by these machines, for the high-speed spin they give and the degree of control over the wash and rinse.