French workers start early in the day, after a large bowl of coffee drunk with a spoon and into which they dunk their bread. Then they have their main meal at lunchtime- practically always the full works; aperatif, red wine, entree, bread, plat, cheese, dessert, coffee, and this does take a full hour and a half plus, what with all the kissing, hand-shaking and talking. Generous portions too, all prepped from fresh ingredients, for around US $10 at a cafe or bar, (look for trucks parked up, an indication of a good chef!). Then they work late, so are still putting in a full 8 hour + workday. The 35 hour week law means most ouvriers get Friday afternoon off for 'le week-end'. Evening meal is just a snack.
And many times you'll find Denise and I getting our heads in the midday cafe-trough with them, although some of the cheeses are, shall we say, an aquired taste! (Livarot!!)
Anyway, I'm off the tell EDF about their rotted plastic tomorrow, armed with my photos. I can tell you I have no high hopes of any action, all I expect is a gallic shrug and 'un ingeneur' will call eventually, (peut etre).
Can't fall over, nothing to stop it!

Alan

PS. Thanks all for the stuff on black uv tie-wraps, they arrive 21st June with my grandchildren from Blighty.

Wood work but can't!