I am the one who submitted this photo. I work for a large utility that maintains many microwave sites throughout the western US. This is one of those sites. The RF level there is quite low, there is no possibility of the lamps glowing from incidental radiation, as could be possible at a broadcast transmitter site. I don't know if these 'emergency' lights are required as I am in the telecommunications side of the house. I'm also not the one responsible for the installation of the lights.

The reason they were installed: We had an incident a couple of years ago where the commercial power went out, and our stand by generator did not start. There was a technician in the building that was injured trying to finding the exit door in the dark. The installation does not look like it is correct, even if not required. Most everything else in the building is run not only in conduit, but rigid conduit! To see this cord, installed as it is, just doesn't look right.

I have no idea what the blank plate above the light was for. There is no 277 in the building - only 120/240 1 phase.

Bob

Bob H