On the borderline of electric installation, but perhaps somebody likes to see.
These are pictures of a Beer Neon sign i received today. When unpacking it, i noticed a browny shining spot at the electronic Transformer (Delivering 8,000 Volts at 20mA). Electronic means its a switchmode power supply with a small high voltage coil at the end. the electronics make about 75%, the coil 25% of the size.
I guess the seller was not a technician and just didnt see this, but i did. Removing the el. transformer, which is completely cast-in in a thin plastic case, showed that something inside must have blown up, burning the pottant and the case. Although the sign is working (!), i wont trust this thing, i've contacted the seller to discuss what to do...
This was a german made neon PSU known as "safe" normally. There are also many black sheeps around in Neon PSU, there are several types here that wear our testing and certification logos but dont confirm the norms.
Anyway, i'm not quite sure what blew up, because it still works. If i should get a new one, i'll saw through this one...

greetings from germany, :andy:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]