Top pic- "fan rated" octagon extension box. Yeah, a fan was actually hanging off that. 2 sheetrock screws holding up the whole mess.

2nd pic. What do you need a box for? Old ac cable feeding a light, with most of the insulation crumbling off. 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture. Insulation removed from top of fixture. I cut the other wire to show everything.

3rd pic- Out of sight, out of mind. Chime transformer sitting in a pile of crap in the attic. I don't even know why they bothered with the box. It's hard to tell, but the cloth insulation on the ancient NM cable left of the box is gone. Even futher to the left, the cable went from partially insulated to not insulated at all. It was down to 2 bare copper conductors sitting in the same dusty mess. [Linked Image] I think some rats chewed it up.

Last pic- another "out of sight, out of mind" found above a suspended ceiling in one of the bathrooms. No explanation required. I think the keyless had a 75 watt bulb in it. Nice and toasty. Besides the obvious, can you spot what else they did?

The sad part of all this is, until recently, all of this was energized and there were low income people living in these apartments. There were lots of other similar problems that I did't get pics of, but you get the idea.

As I said, this is all being ripped out and replaced. The apartments are also being completely renovated in the process, with all new plumbing and heating systems too. Urban renewal at its finest. [Linked Image]

Peter

Peter