I'm sorry I haven't been able to post to this earlier but here goes.

This is a 5500/6000 sf eight bedroom house built probably in the 20's. Originally wired with knob and tube and probably a huge for the time 60amp service with a main panel in the kitchen and a sub panel on the second floor.

There is evidence of at least two major upgrades in the past. The BX cable and additional wall sconces would be from somewhere in the 40's or 50's. with a bedroom converted to a master bath suite and a kitchen make over about 1988.

Apparently during the 1988 upgrades this mess was created, it is the original wooden fuse box with the innards of a moder GE 20/30 breaker panel installed. Surprisingly they managed to keep the neutrals isolated, however I don't think the twisting of all the grounds together and screwing to one small lug attached to the "monkey face" would not be the most reliable solution.
As bad as this is, the wiring within the walls that has not seen the light of day for generations is in very good condition and much of it will be retained.
The plan for this round of upgrades includes all new service equipment, new sub-panels on the second floor and garage, a major kitchen remodel (something in the $75 /$100k range), a major bathroom upgrade and misc. additions throughout the house.

This home has been vacant for several years with the current owners living out of state. Their plan is to make some upgrades and put the house on the market.

Today I replaced that mess and the results con be seen here; https://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/fww56/Beechwood%20Blvd%20Panel/

FRANK