Hi all

I have some questions that I would like to pose to the group.

The situation is that I have been asked to redo an existing service. I have not done a multi res service in about 15 years, hence the questions. I am also not keen on doing this, but it is one of those things that I really can't say no to (friends/family).

Currently it is a single service on a house that they want to split into three services, Apt 1, Apt 2 and house service. They have a 100A now with one fuse panel and one breaker panel, both rated at 100A. (I won’t get into that mess either!!!).

Everything is gas pretty much. No special things like tubs/pools or anything like that.

I am familiar with doing load calcs and also the installation, so my questions are really about policy or practices.

Question #1

When doing the load calc is this a single family home or and apartment building? In theory I am guessing Apt, because I suppose you could have three demands of stove, dryer, a/c etc, however like I said everything is gas and there is not even a dryer or stove plugs installed. Please confirm that it is an apt calc.

Question #2

My plan would be to put three new breaker panels in, however in the spirit of frugality (if that is even a word!) I will be asked if I can make use of the existing 100A stuff. My thoughts on this are, if I can, how do I prove to the inspector that I just did not take this stuff from the dump and slam it in there?

Question #3

If the existing breaker panel is deceit, will I still need to replace the breakers to the new standard ones?

Question #4

Can I actually re-install the old fuse panel?

Question #5

Does anybody have any thoughts on just leaving the existing stuff and just installing a new 2 gang service? I think it would look ugly and not what I would do to my house, but it might also save a few dollars and that seems to be a factor here.

Just in case you hadn’t looked at my profile, I am from Ontario.

Depending on how this goes, I may even have a few before and after pics!!

Thank-you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Navyguy (edited 11-25-2005).]