iwire Wrote: "Tom shouldn't a qualified person opening the panel to add load realize the conductors are sized for 370 amps?"

Sure he/she should check the ampacity of the service conductors and do a service calculation for any increase in the service load but how many do? I'm just frustrated by this type of penny pinching fraud. If the service size is the ampacity of the conductors then the customer should be told that the service that is being installed is 370 rather than being told that they have a four hundred ampere service which is a bold faced lie. A good definition of that particular type of General Contractor is a fella who would cut his own mothers throat from ear to ear for five cents off per hundred board feet of lumber. It just gives me the creeps working for them. In forty years of wiring it has only gotten ugly with two of them. One was the guy I already mentioned and another was a guy who wanted me to sign a statement that the home had been wired to the highest standards of the industry when many multi entry rooms did not have switches at every entry, the floored storage attic was unlighted, the basement lighting consisted of pull chain fixtures, and the list went on. He said I would never work in the industry again. I laughed at him to his face and dragged up. I had work on another site the following day.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison