ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#220378 12/09/19 02:46 PM
3 Images
A
andey Offline OP
FPE in Germany pt.2

Uploaded for another forum thread
4 Comments
W
Thank you for posting this. Looks like German FPE breaks have a magnetic trip coil not found in the US versions.

S
Can you cite an example of mag trip coil for viewer reference please?

~S~

W
Here is an example inside an EU breaker (labelled as a solenoid):

https://www.engineersgarage.com/sit...ageupload/4214/Internal-Parts-of-MCB.jpg

A
andey Offline OP
That is correct, Wateringress. The coil in my photo is on the left side, hidden under the sheet metal fin.

I'm not sure about the whole EU, but all breakers in Germany, since many decades, have these two working mechanisms. The bimetal strip to act time-delayed in overload condition, and the coil for instant trip in short circuit situations. There's different trip curves but the most common curve is "B" where the instant trip will start working at 3 to 5 times the nominal current.
With the most common breaker for regular outlets being B 16 Amp, the fault loop impedance must be low enough to have at very least 80 Amp flow in case of a short, to trigger the instant trip. This is also something the contractor needs to prove by measurement with a special meter.
A common value for the available short circuit current in a regular panel of a German appartment is around 300-2000 Amp. Depending on the distance to the transformer and wiring. So if the wire from the breaker to the outlet is not too long, and terminations are good, you easily make the 80 Amp plus some functional reserve.

Last edited by andey; 06/23/20 07:49 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard