ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
IMG_5738.jpeg
Necessity is mother of invention??

Solution to leak; underground conduit from pad mount transformer to CT cabinet in basement. Leak is at least 1-1/2 yrs old.
4 Comments
T
That's not a leak... it's a river.

One might assume that the ground has shifted -- and that the run is damaged enough to create an open wound.

This should progress until the conductors are faulted short.

I'd strongly suspect that the original transformer pad was set upon uncompacted soils.

Out my way, the Pocos have been so chronically burned from such fiascos that they now are hypervigilant WRT base compaction.

After the inevitable repair -- perhaps years from now -- it would be advisable to grout the secondaries in slurry. The run can't be too long, and its now plain that you've got a serious water table issue.

The asphalting of the interior tells us that there is a serious need for French drains around the exterior footing, too.

In the meantime, figure on the CT box being trashed by rust.

==========

It's imperative that remediation occur before catastrophic failure, perhaps this Summer?

Tesla
Tesla:
There have been a few attempts to 'fix' this leak over about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs. The story seems to have started by someone hitting the padmount xfr and shifting is. The POCO raised it and the PVC was cut and replaced (3' down).

That did not help; the POCO UG crew injected epoxy stuff thru the CT end (HaHa)...still leaking. The xfr end was duct sealed, spray foamed & whatever....still leaking.

Hence, the sump pump setup.

John
T
What a fine mess.

Plan B would be to wait for decent weather...

Then ditch down (manually) near the perimeter foundation...

And install a French drain/ rock pocket down and below the feeder entry...

With a sump pump and float switch...

Itself powered by a GFCI circuit off of the 'house' panel from some above grade location and a Bell box with an in-use cover...

All to be done before the CT cabinet gets grossly rusted out in the near term future.

Because of the sump pump's location, some provision would be required for continued access...

I'd recommend using the super robust PVC pipe used for fresh water delivery, the bluish-green stuff...

Which would be vertically jammed down into the fresh hole...

With weep holes all around drilled in...

So that a common 120V sump pump can be lowered from above by rope...