ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
clever_alteration_of_an_in_use_cover....jpg
D
cleverly altered in use cover...

and the 2 cords plugged into it just disappear into the dirt, no obvious destination that I can see anywhere nearby.
6 Comments
G
Look around for a pump. That looks like a pump cord with the separate float switch that plugs inline.

We had the same situation in the golf course project we did a couple weeks ago. You can get a 4" deep "in use" cover that will take that double stack plug arrangement. HD actually had it.

Greg Fretwell
P
I've seen outdoor outlet covers with slots on the bottom for power cords so the cover can be fully closed during use.

Last edited by packrat56; 06/28/09 05:14 PM.
G
I hope they all have slots in the bottom if they are called "in use" covers.
The trick was getting them that would take a piggy back plug like they use on float switches. Now they are becoming more common.

D
Definitely looks like a sump pump cord, except I can't imagine where a sump pump might be. Thats the opposite side of the road from the house. There is a telephone box and an electrical transformer next to it, but thats all. Do they put sumps under transformers now? There is also a pipe sticking up just shy of 3 feet with 3 heavy gauge conductors in it just cut off with the pipe. I imagine it's disconnected, but I didn't reach over to test... Again, I can't imagine what it might have been for, perhaps a service that ran up a pole that is no longer there? I'll post that picture in a moment...

L
Perhaps a converted french drain? Perhaps the rain gutters dump into a sump and then the sump is pumped into a sewer line or the street?

Originally Posted by LarryC
Perhaps a converted french drain? Perhaps the rain gutters dump into a sump and then the sump is pumped into a sewer line or the street?

Thats what id say it is.

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH

Link Copied to Clipboard