ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9929 - 05/22/02 05:08 AM Old farm overhead still legal?
Don W Offline
Loc: North East Ohio
I was called out to a job that had 2 single conductors (#12 or #10) ran from the farm house to a small out building. The run was about 90 ft from the house to a utility pole then to the building on insulators. A tree branch came down and broke the hot wire. My question is it still legal to run a circuit this way. The circuit is a 20 amp and only operates a single liht and outlet inside the building. The only code reference I could find was NEC 225.6(a) The house is located in a small town in northeast Ohio. Thanks for the help.
Don
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#9930 - 05/22/02 05:51 PM Re: Old farm overhead still legal?
golf junkie Offline
Loc: York, NE
Hi Don,

Welcome to the board.

I run into this type of wiring all the time here in rural Nebraska.

If the wire is damaged or bare I would replace the entire length with triplex O.H. That is standard procedure for us.

GJ
#9931 - 05/23/02 03:40 AM Re: Old farm overhead still legal?
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
No ground for the receptacle?
#9932 - 05/23/02 04:33 AM Re: Old farm overhead still legal?
Don W Offline
Loc: North East Ohio
Redsy,
no there is no groung. The outlet is an old 2 wire type. This wiring was installed about the late 1940's early 1950's. The owner wants a new wire installed to replace what was broken by the tree limb. I wasn't sure if it was still legal to run wire this way. I did consider triplex but running a single conductor was a cheaper out for these older folks. Thanks for the replies.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals