ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 247 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98999 07/05/06 07:13 PM
G
Is it just me or are others wrestling with Kohler about how to lift the bonding on their generators so they can be used with the "neutral" on bonded at the generator? The reason for the question is I am seeing small generators (10 kw) 120/240 single phase generators coming from the factory with a tag on the generator indicating the neutral is bonded to the frame of the generator and that it can be removed in the field for applications where it should not be bonded. Example: Back up generator permanently installed using a 2 pole transfer switch. The neutral is bonded to the frame of the generator and the neutral of the utility is also bonded at a different location. Now we all know the rules about bonding the neutral in two places and this scenario is a violation. Now here's the hook- Kohler tells you that the neutral is bonded to the frame but they don't tell you how to lift the bond or where the bond is. I can read specs and prints and they are silent about this bonding or shall I say un-bonding.
It is standard procedure for Kolher to bond the neutral to the frame at the factory for testing and they always ship them out from the factory with the neutral bonded to the frames and as such they are separately derived systems.

Maybe the title should be SDS v. Not

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 07-05-2006).]

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#99000 07/05/06 10:23 PM
Y
George
The Generator folks I;ve worked with say they send them out that way because there not sure if they'll be hooked up as a Seperately derived system or not so they can be corrected in the field if required. Such as 3 phase 4 wire with a 4 pole is a S.D. system 3 phase 4 wire with a 3 pole transfer switch is not.Depends on the transfer switch in each case.
Yoopersup

#99001 07/05/06 10:27 PM
Y
George
The Generator folks I;ve worked with say they send them out that way because there not sure if they'll be hooked up as a Seperately derived system or not so they can be corrected in the field if required. Such as 3 phase 4 wire with a 4 pole is a S.D. system 3 phase 4 wire with a 3 pole transfer switch is not.Depends on the transfer switch in each case.
Yoopersup

#99002 07/05/06 10:36 PM
G
Ernie, I don't have a problem with that- Sending them out that way, but Kohler don't tell you anything about where the jumper is or what to do to change it. They only show a skimpy block diagram of the components and nothing about any bonding jumper. I've always thought of Kohler as a rather reputable company but I'm having second thoughts now since their technical support is so lax. Generac and Onan know how to handle this situation so they get my vote.

George Little
#99003 07/05/06 11:04 PM
G
I spent some time on the web site and this is not in any of the PDFs about installation.
Have you tried asking the tech support?
I think this should be on a big label somewhere.

Greg Fretwell
#99004 07/06/06 01:22 AM
F
for 10 KW Kolher generators the bonding strap will be loacted in main control panel near the circuit breaker you will see the netural termail strip it is small wire or band.

that where the bonding strap will be located

but for other generator manufacter it is straght foward job i useally ask them in ahead of time and they will do it before they arrive in the site or location where the generator will be at and i just make quick look to double check make sure doing the proper way

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard