ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#98295 05/23/06 09:09 PM
H
This mostly for the Jersey Boys.

OK, I can see not having to install the WP GFI receptacle outside within 25' of the compressor under the rehab and not having the workspace req. in front of the disconnect. However if you install a brand new HVAC system do you think that Rehab or not rehab, that outlet and space should be required?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98296 05/23/06 09:51 PM
C
I would "think" the GFCI is required (rehab or not), clearance would be required for NEW, but not for rehab.

The AHJ would be the one that "knows" the right answer [Linked Image]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#98297 05/23/06 09:53 PM
C
Have you read:
Rules That Make Sense — New Jersey’s Rehabilitation Subcode http://www.nj.gov/dca/codes/rehab/pioneerart.shtml

Give it an eyeball or two.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#98298 05/26/06 04:28 PM
Harold & Celtic:
Good topic, & a great link.

"Rehab" IMHO, is one of the most abused UCC sections. Without typing a long litney, the following is my opinion, and that of some other AHJ's.

Installing a new HVAC CU would require compliance with the current NEC at the time of application. (2005 now). Dependent on the existing conditions of the structure/jobsite some 'clearance' issues may be waived.

Replacement CU basically is 'the best that can be accomplished' under existing conditions. MOCP has to be correct, wiring method has to be in conformance, and clearances are judgemental.

"Rehab" was intended to return downtrodden structures to useful purposes. It's being 'abused' in some instances, and results in what may be best said as 'hostile conditions'. Putting a $400K 'addition' on a cottage and attempting to play the "rehab card" for NEC compliance in the 'addition' was a common issue. (Which was discussed and corrected)

Celtic, Thank You for the link, it's easier reading then 5:23 text, and should help out anyone who reads it.

John

John
#98299 05/26/06 07:22 PM
S
As far as I know, a GFCI receptacle within 25' is always required when installing a new split-type air conditioning system.

Article 210.63

#98300 05/27/06 06:47 PM
Shock:
You're right; on new install, it's required. But, if it's a replacement cu unit, the GFI is not required to be installed. Harold also mentioned clearances (workspace) for the disco on a replacement cu job, and NO clearances are not required to meet current NEC on 'rehab' work.

John

John
#98301 05/27/06 08:05 PM
C
How far do you think I can stretch (sp?) the rehab issue...I want to put a CU on the side on my house - being in the city, clearance is +/- 34"; code is probably 36" (I don't know, just guessing).

The houses on this block are all 50 years old. Do you think I would be "rehabbed" in?

Speaking of CUs....last summer I bid a job (new McMansion in the city) where the original EC walked, the HO didn't like my number, etc....

here's a sidebar to that same job (which I am glad I didn't get)
HO: The CU will be put in the yard/rear of house....
ME: Good because I don't think you have the clearance for a side install
HO: ...after the inspection passes, it's getting moved to the side.
Me: Really!

LOL.

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 05-27-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 05-27-2006).]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#98302 05/29/06 04:32 PM
Celtic:
Are you talking 'clearance' from your lot/property line, or clearance for the disco??

Your lot line clearances are under Zoning, not electrical. 5:23 (UCC) is NOT a zoning code.

As to HO's 'moving' stuff after final inspection; the Elec AHJ could get them for work without a permit, but again, locations are not my thing. Heck I had people taking the "UGLY" bubble covers off & installing the old flappers.

John

John
#98303 05/29/06 06:10 PM
C
Hotline1,
I am talking property lines:

- no, it might not be an issue for my house
For me, I would have to get an AHJ to sign off on it.

- yes, that would be a zoning issue for the new home.
I understand about bubble covers...my point with this guy is ~ who's gonna pay and who's gonna do the work?
The HO might want to pay for the relocate...but how could I, as the EC, do the job? Take out another electrical permit, but break zoning laws?
Like I said, this is one I am glad I didn't get!

Is 5.23 available online?

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#98304 05/30/06 06:05 PM
Celtic:
5:23 is NOT available online, and it's not provided on CD/DVD, DCA is still in the stone age.

A Blue Book is available from DCA for $40.00, and on top you have to subscribe to the 'update service' to keep it current. They send (mail) replacement pages when they make ANY changes. (Punctuation, grammar, & additions/deletions. I can get you the address/name if you want it.

BTW, it's not something that anyone I know would even say is close to 'easy reading'. It's LAW, written in leagaleese.

I'm curious, which AHJ would you ask for an OK to locate the Cu??

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard