ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98026 - 04/26/06 05:25 PM Receptacles in Kitchen
George Little Offline
Loc: Michigan USA
Contractor asked me if he could install receptacles underneath the upper cabinets in his/her kitchen that would be used for plugging in fluorescent slim line light fixtures. These receptacles would be in addition to the wall receptacles installed to serve the countertop. This subject has to have been on this BB before and I missed it. I have not seen the fixtures yet but have some concerns about them coming with the cord installed. Then there is the issue of GFCI protection? Plugs installed to serve the countertop will have GFCI protection.
#98027 - 04/26/06 06:13 PM Re: Receptacles in Kitchen
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Loc: Blue Collar Country
Good issues, George.

Assuming that the receptacles are more than 20" above the countertop, I don't think GFI protection is required. Under 20", and I think they would be considered as countertop serving receptacles, even if there are others.
#98028 - 04/26/06 06:21 PM Re: Receptacles in Kitchen
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
Are they 20" or less from the counter surface? Then they are clearly serving the countertop. Higher than that they are still SA circuits but would not have to be GFCI.
I am still not sure why they wouldn't/shouldn't be.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals