ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9753 - 05/11/02 08:52 PM transformer leads of different voltage ratings mixing
Elzappr Offline
Loc: Oregon
What's the "fix" for a situation where there are cables in a vault that operate in different voltage ranges--like for transformer line/load conductors, one set over 600V and the load side under 600V. In this scenario, the cables are coming into the vault in such a way that there is no way to place a rigid physical barrier between the conductors. Is it practicable to wrap the 600V conductors with high voltage insulation?
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#9754 - 05/11/02 09:27 PM Re: transformer leads of different voltage ratings mixing
Bjarney Offline
Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
There is Raychem BBIT but it will cost you plenty. I'd be sure your inspector will buy in to it first.
#9755 - 05/12/02 04:57 PM Re: transformer leads of different voltage ratings mixing
Elzappr Offline
Loc: Oregon
I don't know what the Raychem product is that you mentioned. This transformer vault situation is something that someone else had run into recently, I haven't seen the installation myself. My understanding is that you can have shielded URD racked within 6" of the 600V wire, but if it is un-shielded you can't have it in the same enclosure.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 05-12-2002).]

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals