Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
39 minutes 29 seconds ago
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (LongRunner), 98 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9706 - 05/10/02 04:51 AM Inspection practices
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
What types of inspections are you doing or being subject to? Do you remove panel covers? I ask because I know of only one inspector around here that wants to see the panel with the cover off. I thought this was just a pain until yesterday. I went into a house to add some circuits. The house was a few years old. The panel was a mess. Besides the horrible way the wires were just thrown in there all the terminals were loose. Breakers, grounds, neutrals. Several of the ground terminals were just never tightened. All the neutrals were doubled up and none of the grounds were. I wonder if an inspector would have caught any of this simply by looking in the panel and maybe giving a tug to some of the wiring. Also the breakers were from a different manufacturer and were not listed on the cover for use.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#9707 - 05/10/02 05:11 AM Re: Inspection practices
motor-T Offline

Loc: Girard, Ohio, USA
Every time I have been around for an inspection, all three will remove the cover and check inside, one guy pulls on the wires to each breaker and the neutrals.
then they checck the ground rods and water meter, if it exists, and point of attachment.
-Mark-

#9708 - 05/10/02 05:24 AM Re: Inspection practices
Electric Eagle Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
In my area the inspectors don't look "behind the scenes" unless something is obviously wrong, then they will probe a little further. It kind of ticks me off, because I take pride in the quality of my work and I want them to see it.

#9709 - 05/11/02 05:55 AM Re: Inspection practices
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
I do service entrance inspections & I need to see inside the panel. Also, the more I see wrong, the more I look.

Most city/county inspectors I know simply don't have enough time to take a real hard look at everything & since they are already weak on the NEC, they tend to stick to what few areas they are familiar with, so a lot of stuff gets by them.

#9710 - 05/11/02 04:59 PM Re: Inspection practices
sparky Offline

lack of time/manpower allows for only a quick run through here...

#9711 - 05/11/02 08:32 PM Re: Inspection practices
arseegee Offline

Loc: Statesboro, GA USA
The inspectors I deal with the most are pretty good about checking the whole system. They test each light and recept, pull panel and disco covers, check smoke detectors, bonding requirements, and spot check junctions.

#9712 - 05/11/02 10:24 PM Re: Inspection practices
George Offline

The inspectors around here do "inspections of dummies."

If they have seen your work before and it was good, you get a quick inspection.

If you are new or have had had problems, out comes the test equipment and you have 1/2 day or more of attention.

DIYs get a short list of mistakes on each trip out.

#9713 - 05/12/02 06:11 AM Re: Inspection practices
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
Probably does not follow your normal procedures, but I always watch a torque down of individual conductors and any field modified or installed parts of service equipment. We only do that in services, but keep as close an eye as possible on branch stuff and devices. That must be certified along with megger and micro ohm readings.

#9714 - 05/12/02 04:45 PM Re: Inspection practices
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
…watch a torque down of individual conductors…
…certified along with megger and micro ohm readings…

George, please pardon me. I mean no disrespect, but which costs more/takes longer—the inspection or the installation?

#9715 - 05/12/02 06:10 PM Re: Inspection practices
Electric Eagle Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I've got a torque wrench on my truck and I actually use it. Only once have I had an inspector even ask about torque. He asked what the torque rating was on the panel to make sure I'd read it and then asked to see my torque wrench. But usually I'm not there when the inspector decides to show up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals