ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95629 - 09/22/05 12:06 PM Liquidtight Flex Metal Conduit
InspectorE Offline
Loc: Hudson WI USA
Section 350.30(A), Exception 1 indicates that LFMC does not have to be secured within 12 inches of a box where it is fished. I generally take that to mean "old work". I am wiring a new home made with structural insulated panels (SIPs). There are wiring/plumbing chases precut into the foam core, making it possible to "fish" conduit through, but it would be very difficult to secure the conduit. Even though it is new, SIPs have the physical characteristics of old as you don't have access to the core. Do I have to secure the LFMC or is it considered to be "fished" even though it is new construction?

The Code doesn't seem to change quickly enough to deal with any new type of construction, so you have to make a judgement call.

Thanks!
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#95630 - 09/22/05 12:40 PM Re: Liquidtight Flex Metal Conduit
raider1 Offline
Loc: north logan, utah, US
I think you are reading to much into this.

The code says "Exception No. 2: Where LFMC is fished."

There are times on new construction that, because of an oversight or a change, that you may need to fish a conduit.

If it is fished it is fished regardless of if it is "old work" or a new ground up project.

Chris
#95631 - 09/22/05 03:37 PM Re: Liquidtight Flex Metal Conduit
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
I concur with Raider1. Fishing does not require support.

John

PS: WElcome to the forum

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals