by Texas_Ranger
Today at 08:24 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92925 - 04/17/05 10:24 PM gfci breaker septic
watersparkfalls Offline

Loc: Washington...Not DC
i live in washington state, where septic system seem more common then city sewer. there are a variety used here but this paticular one i have a question on is the "white water" type. it is supposed to be the newest, latest, and greatest. it uses a uv light which kills 99% of bacteria prior to being pumped out of the tank. my question is this would a gfci breaker be required on an outdoor compressor which is hardwired to a single pole switch(disconnect)? this compressor is part of the septic systems air switching. i noticed that the electrician on the house next door uses a gfci breaker on his but i do not(have passed many inspections mind you) but i am curious if the inspector is just overlooking mine. granted motors and gfci's are not a good combo but that said any thoughts?

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#92926 - 04/18/05 07:18 AM Re: gfci breaker septic
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I do not believe that a GFI is required. Your concerns as to motors vs. GFI's are probably not as justified as they once were; the newer (made in past year) GFI's are supposed to be re-designed to reduce such "nuisance tripping' problems.
As I understand your application, the compressor only supplies air pressure; it is the air pressure that operates switches. In that case, you already have "removed" electrical service from the 'at risk' area, and adding a GFI -while not harmful- is, in my opinion, completely unnecessary.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals