ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#91365 01/12/05 11:05 AM
M
Code references please... I know you can't put a panelboard in a walk in closet (or any sort of closet for that matter), but what about a punchdown panel for residential datatel and video?

Mike Wescoatt
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91366 01/12/05 11:38 AM
E
I don't know of any reason you can't do this. Also, there is a new forum on this site for Topics like this.

#91367 01/14/05 09:34 PM
E
e57 Offline
Not in my town.... You might get away with it elsewhere. Our Inspectors call for work space simular to panels, and that is thier interpritation on it.

But there are "standards" for Commercial and Residential Tele/Data which also call/highly suggest workspace. (TIA 570)

But remember you might have to be the guy who has to enter this panel again....
-----------------------------
This is the section of the NEC sited on this in the past: You decide....

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.

(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

(1) Depth of Working Space. The depth of the working space in the direction of live parts shall not be less than that specified in Table 110.26(A)(1) unless the requirements of 110.26(A)(1)(a), (b), or (c) are met. Distances shall be measured from the exposed live parts or from the enclosure or opening if the live parts are enclosed.

(b) Low Voltage. By special permission, smaller working spaces shall be permitted where all uninsulated parts operate at not greater than 30 volts rms, 42 volts peak, or 60 volts dc.

( Some commentary: )The intent of 110.26(A) is to provide enough space for personnel to perform any of the operations listed without jeopardizing worker safety. These operations include examination, adjustment, servicing, and maintenance of equipment. Examples of such equipment include panelboards, switches, circuit breakers, controllers, and controls on heating and air-conditioning equipment. It is important to understand that the word examination, as used in 110.26(A), includes such tasks as checking for the presence of voltage using a portable voltmeter.
Minimum working clearances are not required if the equipment is such that it is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized. However, “sufficient” access and working space are still required by the opening paragraph of 110.26.

Ever been jolted while while testing lines by a ringing line? While you were adjusting, servicing, or otherwise examining this type of energized electrical equipment of 0-150 volts.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-14-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#91368 01/15/05 01:05 AM
R
110.26 does not apply to Chapter 8 installations.
90.3 ... Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7 except where the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#91369 01/15/05 05:14 AM
E
e57 Offline
The '99 NEC is worded slightly differently... California might not adopt 2002? We always lag behind a cycle or two.

"Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is independent of the other chapters except where they are specifically referenced therein."

The problem lies with the fact that they're looking at these Media Panel Boxes as a cut-out box, or cabinet. In my opinion they are.

Anyway, still a bad idea to put one in a closet. Just my opinion...

But if the NEC is even going to have a chapter 8, at some point these types of media panels will need to be clearly addressed in some way in the future. As you can put just about anything in them. AV, Tel, data, IR switching, 120 recepticals and devices, etc.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#91370 01/15/05 07:07 AM
I
e57 Just because it is in a closet does not mean that 110.26 requiments could not be met by choice.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard