ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9107 - 04/17/02 07:40 AM Square D HOM SP breaker
Chris Rudolph Offline
Loc: Winter Park,Fl USA
I am looking at the side of a 20 amp Square D breaker type HOM series 1 and it shows a pictorial of two # 14 load wires under the screw/pressure plate.
I see two issues,first the # 14 on a 20 amp breaker and 2 load wires on a single pole breaker.
Does SQ D assume that the load is split evenly ?
How can they show this as acceptable?
I have called Square D and they are researching it.
Chris (having a senior moment)
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#9108 - 04/17/02 08:55 AM Re: Square D HOM SP breaker
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
I believe the purpose of diagram you are looking at is only to show that this type of breaker has terminals that can accomodate 2 conductors of equal size. I don't have one in front of me, but I think it also lists acceptable wire sizes. It is unfortunate that they chose #14 to illustrate the fact that the terminals accept 2 conductors, but it is up tp the installer to properly size the circuit conductors.
#9109 - 04/18/02 06:52 AM Re: Square D HOM SP breaker
JBD Offline
Loc: WI, USA
They are showing the range of the lug not the range of the breaker. They use the same lug on all breakers from 15 to 30 Amps. It is up to the installer to chose the correct wire for the application. Remember not all #14 AWG wiring is restricted to 15 amp protection (i.e. motors).

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals