ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90369 11/19/04 12:46 PM
M
We are having a discussion on a wall switch installation and
its shutting off ceiling recepticals for three HID lamp fixtures. The fixtures are 120
volts and plug into a designated receptical for each lamp. the wall switch turns off all
lights. I used a yellow wire for the load to
identify it as a fixture "switch leg". I was
told that a black wire was more to Code? Any
advise.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90370 11/19/04 12:54 PM
N
I cant site a code # but i have done the same many of times i used what i had on my van , red,blue,orange,purple and never had a problem.

#90371 11/19/04 01:05 PM
V
You can use any color as long as it is not green, grey. or white

#90372 11/19/04 01:27 PM
R
See if 210.4(D) applies.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#90373 11/19/04 08:17 PM
D
Unless you're in San Francisco.

Dave

#90374 11/19/04 08:41 PM
W
Maybe yellow might be mistaken for white, especially after a few years and layers of dirt later. I've seen white insulation look yellow after a few years. Not from overload, but just the plastic insulation getting old and yellowing.

#90375 11/19/04 09:19 PM
D
"I was told that a black wire was more to Code?"

What does more to code mean anyways, aren't your compliant or not? Guess he is saying it depends on the inspector :P

Why would the NEC allow other colors if you were not to use them? This is a perfect case for using a different color conductor, allowing easy idetification of what's going on with a curcuit.

I personally use black, red, blue for my branch circuits (120/208) and other colors for switch legs, but this is not required or recommended in the code anywhere that I have seen. Unless you have multiple voltages in a building, as Ryan_J pointed out.

#90376 11/20/04 07:44 PM
E
e57 Offline
May be a local code????????

Like this one: The SF Code. You can use a different color in the same voltage color code for switch legs.
210-5(c). Add the following new section:
(c)Ungrounded Conductors. Underground conductor insulation shall be color coded as follows:
(1)One-hundred-twenty/two-hundred-forty-volt 3-wire circuits - “A” phase black, “B” phase red; 120/208 volt 4-wire 3-phase wye circuits - “A” phase black, “B” phase red, “C” phase blue; 120/240 volt 3-phase delta circuits - “A” phase black, “B” (high leg) phase purple, “C” phase red; 277/480 volt 4-wire 3-phase wye circuits - “A” phase brown, “B” phase orange, “C” phase yellow.
(2)Conductors for switch legs may be of a different color than the phase conductor other than green, white or gray when suitably identified at pull, junction and outlet boxes with marking tape, tagging or other equally effective means.

(3)Conductor insulation shall contain the applicable color pigment for circuit wire #14 AWG through #10 AWG. Ungrounded conductors #8 AWG and larger and ungrounded conductors of any size in cable assemblies may be pigmented colors other than green, white or gray, provided they are suitably identified at pull, junction and outlet boxes with marking tape, tagging or other equally effective means.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#90377 11/20/04 10:24 PM
Mark,
Where does SF think that their amendments are in Compliance with the State's Codes?
Cut and pasted direct from BSC, CA's Building Standards site

/Rules for Cities/Counties
When making a local amendment, the law requires that a city or county do all of the following [Health and Safety Code Section 17958.7(a)]:

Expressly mark and identify each change to existing building standards.
Make an express finding that each change is reasonably necessary because of local climatic, geological, or topographical conditions.
File with the BSC a copy of each change and its related findings.

Am I missing something?
Has SF really decided that they are their own State?
(Are they gonna make Feng Shui a Code requirement, like your representative Mr. Li wants, too?) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-20-2004).]

#90378 11/21/04 01:09 AM
E
e57 Offline
Actually, this particular ammendment annoys me, for the reason that "Out of Town" electricians could be confused by the Purple High-leg color. So I personally, think it is dangerous to contradict the rest of the country on high-leg marking.

One benifit is that I don't have to worry about a can of PVC glue opening in my truck. As I rarely use it.

Truthfully, I don't know where they get off making thier own code up, I am however glad they enforce them, and our Inspectors are for the most part extremely well versed. Nor do I know how they justify it to the State, but they have been sue several times about some of these codes, and won. Some they lost.... They are all easily available though... http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isap...nfran.nfo&softpage=browse_frame_pg42

As for Mr. Lee.... Feel glad! Because of some of the other wacko's that could have been elected in his place were really off the wall. Imagine manditory composting, and organic sewage treatment plants, and then Lee's Feng Shui ideas dont seem all that bad....

To me, Title-24 seems a bit Feng Shui inspired....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard