ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hi,
Is there any requirement for a convenience outlet in a commercial restroom? I was thinking that anytime you have a basin you must provide an outlet within 3 feet?

thanks for any replies.

-regards

Mustang

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
No requirement. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
C
Nor is it required to be on a 20 amp circuit, but it must have GFCI protection if installed.

Not many people dry their hair in commercial bathrooms. [Linked Image]

Peter
M
Hi,
i appreciate the replies. I was thinking that there was no particular requirement but I always like to check myself.

I see the reasoning behind not requiring an outlet in a commercial restroom but i also think this will create a need for an extension cord in the future for anything that requires a power source which could include cleaning equipment for the restroom.

There may also be a need to help our Plumbing friends when they need to do their "duty".

I do not think anyone would provide an outlet in a commercial restroom to dry hair unless it was specified for that purpose but that was not the purpose of the outlet in my mind.

Since the NEC trys to plan for future use or expansion by requiring certain outlets or planning-like having to provide an outlet for the HVAC guy or install a dedicated outlet for a microwave-vent-a-hood that may never actually be installed, or leaving extra spaces in a panel...that it would be as justifiable as an outlet within 3 feet of ANY basin...restroom or not.

Just my thoughts on the subject..I am sure there are plenty of folks with different views. which is what makes this forum so interesting..

myself, if I designed it i would put a GFI near a basin just in case. i would bet a nickel that the outlet would get utilized at some point in time..

i would not be surprised if arc fault breakers will be the next required device for commercial installations..

thanks again for the replies..

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-26-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard