We want your input!

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
Son of Sparky
by gfretwell
10/16/16 07:53 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
Is this a fix or just a bandaid?
by gfretwell
10/10/16 06:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
ghost307 5
HotLine1 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 297 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8951 - 04/10/02 09:21 AM Residential Panelboards
fireftr Offline

Loc: Bucyrus Ohio Usa
I get a lot of questions about which panelboards, 200A, are the best to install. Most of them are looking at long life and low maintenance. We are forced to use a specfic brand at my shop and I was hoping that maybe some of the people on this board might have one they like better than others.
I always tell them to skip the cheaper brands anyway.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#8952 - 04/10/02 09:50 AM Re: Residential Panelboards
CTwireman Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I like Square D and Cutler Hammer. Also, T+B panels and breakers are good, and they are identical to Cutler Hammer stuff for less money.

#8953 - 04/10/02 10:04 AM Re: Residential Panelboards
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
I have used them all. I like the new Siemens panels and breakers. All the screws are backed out. I think they call it speedwire. You never realize what a good idea the simple things can be until you try them. Also like the homeline panels from SQ D. I beleive if they work as they are suposed to than no panel is really any better than another. If someone can prove otherwise please do.

#8954 - 04/10/02 11:48 AM Re: Residential Panelboards
motor-T Offline

Loc: Girard, Ohio, USA
I have used all of them but I am partial to Siemens, one is the most obvious the price, I get exceptionally great prices, also the Siemens panels are series rated.
Best of all IMO is the bus arrangement one on either and a tie bar that is removable if it needs to be made into a sub-panel. GE is the closet wiht their parallel bus arrangement but it is set off the bottom, and will use them only if it is requested.
The new Siemens panels have cut the length of there neutral bus in half and now they only give you 14 holes per side for a 20 space panel. Where they used to give almost 25.
Thats how I see it.

#8955 - 04/10/02 07:16 PM Re: Residential Panelboards
spkjpr Offline

Loc: Sedalia,MO, USA
Fireftr, I use Square D exclusively and have not had any problems. Used to use C/H but the I got a better price on the Square D @ the blue house place. Also there is better access to the Square D breakers in my area. Don't like the cheap Murray panels though.

#8956 - 04/10/02 07:32 PM Re: Residential Panelboards
eesparx Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado
I use Sq D's Homeline panels for residential and Sq D's QO for light commercial. I will use GE once in awhile, but try not to. Just my personal preference.

#8957 - 04/10/02 07:35 PM Re: Residential Panelboards
AndrusT Offline

I used Siemens, C/H, and Sq.D.
I like Siemens the best. The Ground and neutral bars are on opposite sides. Not stacked right on top of eachother like Sq.d and C/H.
I can only say this about residential panels, because I have no commercial exp. or any clue if the panels are the same.

#8958 - 04/10/02 07:49 PM Re: Residential Panelboards
arseegee Offline

Loc: Statesboro, GA USA
We install over 100 panels a year, both residential and multi family. I have had great luck with the GE gold line series. A little cheaper than a QO and a bit more than a Homeline. Had two bad 30A DP's and one bad 20A SP. Not a bad record for the thousands I have installed over the years. Just stay away from their small panels (6 to 12 cir). They are not built as rugged. As for the 32 or 40 cir, true split neutral / grounding buss. MBJ removes in about 5 seconds with 3/8 nut driver or common screwdriver. Ground lug factory installed. Plenty of gutter space for wire bending and a pretty good KO layout with a 1 1/4" ko on right and left sides. Hope my Square Dog rep never sees this!

#8959 - 04/10/02 08:07 PM Re: Residential Panelboards
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Has anybody had any/many callbacks or failures with any of the above mentioned panels?
Murray works just fine for me, but I'm a QO lover

#8960 - 04/10/02 09:19 PM Re: Residential Panelboards
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
GE mostly in residential, have had no problems and I like the ground/neutral bus arrangement. SQ D in commercial work, hate the neutral bus location on SQ D... Cutler Hammer is available for me, and I like the trip curves (comparable to SQ D) but the darn neutral bus is placed so that a screwdriver cannot be square with the screws and are more likely to strip. Who designed that?!?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals